Saturday 2 May 2009

Chocolate Croissants from Nigella Express

I saw Nigella Lawson making her Chocolate Croissants on her Nigella Express programme a while ago and thought they looked really easy, really yummy, and like a really lazy kind of recipe (my kind of recipe!) I don't have the Nigella Express book, but managed to find the recipe by the power of Google.

(Makes 12)

Ingredients

  • 1 (13-ounce) packet ready rolled butter puff pastry
  • 1 (100-gram) chocolate bar (milk or dark depending on taste)
  • 1 egg beaten

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425F/220C. Unfurl the sheet of pastry and then cut it into 6 squares.

Cut each square diagonally to give 2 triangles (they will appear quite small). Put the triangle with the wider part facing you and the point away from you.

Break off small pieces of chocolate (approx.1cm/half inch) to place about 2cm/3/4-inch up from the wide end nearest you.

Then carefully roll from that chocolate loaded end towards the point of the triangle.

You should now have something resembling a straight croissant, seal it slightly with your fingertips and curl it around into a crescent.

Place the chocolate croissants on a lined baking tray and paint with the beaten egg. Bake for 15 minutes until golden and puffy and exuberantly, if miniaturely, croissant-like.


I used (Green & Blacks) dark chocolate, which was a little bitter for the less developed taste-buds in my house. Yes they were very very easy - but not very very yummy. There seemed to be a lot of spare pastry at the ends where the chocolate hadn't got that far. I much prefer shop-bought chocolate croissants, and they're far cheaper too. I won't bother making these again. This is one instance where home baked is not best. 1/5.


****EDIT****

Ok, it's 2 days later - the croissants have all gone. I might have lied when I said Louis didn't like them - he polished them off sharpish! For me they don't compare to shop-bought croissants. For Louis they were fine, he loved them, and they are probably better for him. Still not sure if that would sway me into making them again though!

2 comments:

♥Rosie♥ said...

Oh these are scrummy - a must try!

Rosie x

. said...

Its your photo thats selling this to me :-D

I have this book, I should really give them a try...

Post a Comment